Monday, October 18, 2010

Why I Don't Like First Grade

Let me just say, life was simpler in Kindergarten. Everyone loved each other, they all shared, the world was a happy place. First Grade is the ANTI-kindergarten it seems. It's such a hard age... I remember being six... you learn a lot about your world and the people who make up the world. As a mom, I wish I could shield my son and tell him that everyone will love him as much as I do, everyone is always kind and that the world is a totally loving and happy place. Is it just me, or is it torture watching your child learn to navigate their way through the world?

So far, he's learned that kids are mean (for no apparent reason), that they will throw things at you and tease you just because they feel like it. He's learning how to fight his own battles and to make friends with kids that are nice to him and stay away from those who always seem to be in the "reflection" chair. He also just realized this past weekend that not everyone goes to church! I think he was SHOCKED when he realized that not everyone loves Jesus the way he does. He is growing up and I feel like I'm reliving all those childhood growing pains once again. It just means some extra time on my knees praying each day for him.

Boy, I miss kindergarten...sigh

Addendum: After talking to my concerned father, I should note that the reason why the kids seem so miserable is because they merged two elementary schools into one... so the majority of Chris' classmates are from the other school who are now trying to adjust to this new environment. It doesn't excuse bad behavior, but I truly believe things would have been a little different if they had kept the schools separate. Just my observation.

No comments: