There has been a ton of "buzz" in our school district regarding breast cancer awareness these last few weeks. Apparently, there are some retailers who are selling "I Love Boobies" bracelets. In general, there are several organizations who make bracelets available for purchase and a portion of the proceeds goes to that charity or organization. The problem with this particular bracelet is that, while it is supposed to be worn in support of breast cancer research, etc., the children sporting them (as young as 7 and 8) are obviously wearing them for other reasons (sexual comment). Call me crazy, but should a 2nd grader in my son's school be allowed to wear this bracelet?
I personally think the bracelets should just have the common symbol for breast cancer awareness, the pink ribbon, and let that be it. To have that phrase on it, to me, just demeans the whole purpose. Having lost a parent to this horrible disease, I take offense to it and really hope that parents pay attention to the bands your kids have on their wrists and have a heart-to-heart conversation with them about it.
To me, it's not cool for a young boy to have this band on his wrist (and to be able to wear it under the pretense of supporting a cause when the really is wearing it more as a joke - sexual remark). Don't wear a t-shirt to public school that has religious meaning behind it, but go ahead and wear the "I love boobies" band - that's just fine. Any thoughts out there? Do you think I'm overreacting or not getting mad enough?
No comments:
Post a Comment