Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Bully

I'm all over the place.. Childlike Faith one day.. and the Bully the next. I guess that's how life is.

Chris encountered his first bully. A little boy a little younger than him and about half of his size. This was the most mean spirited kid I had seen in a long time. It wasn't at school that he meet this child, but at church of all places. Yesterday at Bible Study, I dropped Chris off like I normally did and as soon as Chris walked into the class, this kid started taunting him verbally and calling him names. Where in the world did this come from??? Then, when Chris went to play with some puzzles, this kid walked over to him and raised his fists and started to "pretend" swing at him. Let's just say the kid is lucky he did not strike my son. I was so shocked at this scene playing out in front of me I didn't know what to do. Chris just kept telling this boy to please stop. He was calm, cool and collected. Was he annoyed at this kid.. absolutely. The teachers were just standing around (his regular teacher wasn't there so it was the first encounter the other teacher had). One of the assistant teachers told the new teacher that this kid is like this every week, this just happened to be Chris' week to be picked on apparently.

So, I put Chris in a chair far away from the bully and told him that if this kid bothers him, to try to ignore him but if that does not work, to let the teacher know. He is just being mean and Jesus doesn't like that kind of behavior. If he gets hit, tell the teacher. I really struggled with even letting him stay in that class, but I knew my little guy was going to have to deal with these types of kids at some point and better he get it over with and learn how to deal with it. I can't shelter him forever from these social encounters.

I must say I was very pleased to find the bully sitting in time out when I picked Chris up. Chris was all smiles about how much fun he had. I'm glad this bully didn't get the best of him. Trust me... if there's anymore nonsense from this kid, I will have a talk with his parent if the teachers do not.


1 comment:

Liz said...

What kid was it? I'm curious? Davey had a problem with one of them in his Sunday School class last year..it was awful. I went into the class to bring something in, and there was Davey crying quietly in his hands, and his teachers didn't even know about it. He saw me and ran to me...clung to me..and told me the whole thing about the little boy, I won't mention his name now. Week after week Davey was frightened to go to SS class...the teachers there were great, and I told them what happend...that little boy actually HIT Davey that one Sunday! I can understand how you're feeling...