Isn't it funny how our plans are often derailed? ... What may have made good sense at one time led you to do something that, looking back, you would do completely different now? I found myself lamenting over china. Yes, china... Not China.. but my fine china. Silly... isn't it? Three years ago we had our beautiful china plates, saucers, serving bowls, beautiful picture frames, and other delicate trinkets boxed up in preparation of our move from Florida to New Jersey. I remember when I was packing my kitchen thinking to myself, make sure you only leave out what you are going to need for the next year... everything else that you can "do without" until we move into a more permanent home, can go in the two china boxes. So, in went my "good" glasses, pitchers, and silverware, some wedding gifts, photos, etc. Basically, I figured one year of entertaining without the "good" stuff would be fine.
Every time I open the closet in our basement, I see the china boxes. I remember thinking how sad that it's now been THREE years that they have remained unopened. What turned into a temporary move (we planned to rent our current townhouse for only 1 year and then move again), has turned into three years. Yes, I have survived without those material things ( and I guess I could write a blog about that alone), but what it really did was serve as a reminder to me that God's plans are not always our plans.
I know one day I will be able to open those two boxes and, trust me, I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store. I'll be pulling out precious treasures that have been undisturbed for years. I think I learned that whenever I have to move again, even though it would seem like a good idea to leave some things packed, that I want to take it all out to enjoy.
I'm so thankful for a God who directs our paths each and every day... and how awesome it is to serve a God who can see the bends in our road before we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment