Monday, July 4, 2011

Flip Flop City

It's official! I've recently discovered that people in the Big Apple have the filthiest feet in America. Recently I started working in NYC (that's a whole separate blog). It's amazing how some things have changed and how many things have not. The official wardrobe of New Yorkers remains black. Everyone is still in a hurry to get somewhere. But the one surprise was that everyone is wearing flip-flops to get around the city! Really? Flip Flops? The thought of wearing a totally open shoe which is so flat and thin on the dirty city streets just didn't make sense to me at all. Do they realize what kind of grime they are "flopping" up onto their feet and legs? There are times you have to walk around mysterious globs of who knows what... trust me I am quite happy to lace up my sneakers or to wear a flat shoe. I love flip-flops at the beach and especially when wearing them on my way to get a pedicure. Because of some problems with my own foot, I don't find them comfortable for long walks. But maybe that's just me... maybe the more I work in NYC I'll understand the rationale behind the Flip Flop Movement.

One of the things I love about NYC is the people watching. Trust me.. there's a lot of things to see. So far I've enjoyed watching an Elvis impersonator buy a bus ticket (in full Elvis costume!) and I saw a women lunge after a quarter while on an escalator only to wipe out at the bottom of the escalator and wind up without the quarter lying on her back. My all time favorite was the lady in her business suit, with 5 inch high heels riding a bicycle with her Louis Vuitton handbag nestled into the basket on the front of her bike.

Yes, I believe I will have plenty of blog material for the next few months.

Happy Fourth of July!!

No comments: