There's nothing more disconcerting to a soon-to-be 7 year old than the thought of missing the class Christmas (oops.. "Holiday") party. Especially, when it's a pajama party featuring a showing of the Polar Express. When Chris realized that our plans to drive to Florida meant him missing this party, he was really upset. I guess I would have been to. After trying to reason with him and explain how much more fun sitting in a car for 2 1/2 days would be (ha ha), we realized that there was only one thing that would cheer him up. A pajama party of his very own. (Thanks to my sister-in-law, Sara, for sharing this idea with me!)
Once he had his PJs on, we whisked him away to one of his favorite places.. McDonald's.. with a playplace of course. He ate, climbed to his hearts content and then it was on to the "real" treat. We got in the car and headed into New York City. It was impossible to get close to the Christmas Tree with our car, so we did a "drive by". We rode up and down some of our favorite city streets taking in all the sights that make New York so wonderful in the winter. We had so much fun and, even though it was cold, we pulled over to get smoothies to enjoy on the ride home.
He had a great time and by the end of the night, he honestly was ready for our road trip to Florida. It's all in the adventure that you make it. The next night we had our own family movie party watching the Polar Express and, not for nothing, I bet he enjoyed that more then he would have with his class.
So, I highly recommend a spontaneous pajama party with your child... I personally did not put my PJs on for this trip into the city, but definitely would for a future one.
No comments:
Post a Comment