About a week ago, Chris came home from school and announced to me that he was now friends with "Bob". I was a little surprised because Bob has tried my patience, has softened my heart and has opened a door for me to teach my little boy how to act towards others...especially those who are not nice to you. You see, Bob has some learning and behavioral challenges and, as such, is not to blame for some of his actions. So, I've spent the majority of the year trying to explain to Chris that we are to treat others the way we want to be treated, but if you get pushed or something is said or done that doesn't follow the rules, you need to tell the teacher right away. And Chris has been great about doing just that, but always with the mindset that he does NOT like this kid.
So, that was why I was surprised that the boy who will "accidentally" knock into him and give him grief, is now his friend. I didn't get too much into it the day of Chris' announcement because we were with other people. As I was driving Chris to school the next day he said to me, "Mom.. do you know why I am now friends with Bob?"
No, Chris I don't... why did you decide to be his friend?
"Well, Bob does not have even ONE friend in our class and so I decided I was going to be his friend that way he has one. I was thinking how would I feel if I was the one who didn't have a friend and I would be very sad. So, that's why I am now his friend."
As the tears were rolling down my checks I told him how proud I was of him and how he is being so Christ-like in his actions.
1 comment:
Ohhhh, that tender-hearted boy of yours is so precious. We'll be praying that his friendship with Bob blesses them both!!
Post a Comment