Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Birthday, Anniversary and so much more

April, April, April.... such a busy month... Birthday, Anniversary, Easter, Field Trips, Egg Hunts, Spring Parties, Bridal Showers, etc. I'm exhausted just typing that.

Had a great time in Lancaster for my birthaversary (birthday/anniversary for you newbies). Saw the "Joseph" production at Sight and Sound which was wonderful, ate at my favorite "Pennslyvania Dutch" breakfast place (Family Cupboard for you locals) and did something I have never done before.... took a buggy ride through the Amish Farms. Having lived in Lancaster for 7 years, you would have thought I would have taken a tour or two, but it's sort of like when I lived in NY and went to a Broadway show for the first time when I was 30. When you live locally, you don't necessarily indulge in the local culture.

Anyway, what a fabulous tour! We took the "cookie" tour.. it just sounded good LOL. The driver was 100% Amish, straight off the farm. Very friendly and told us we could ask ANYTHING! I was so excited! I can not tell you how many Beverly Lewis and Amy Clipson books I have read about the Amish. So, ask questions I did - how often does that opportunity come along? Not many times my friend.

The best part was when Steve, our Amish driver, took us onto his family farm.. I kid you not. No paved road just a dirt and grass trail. When we pulled up to the barn, his little brother came running out of the house barefoot with a little basket of goodies for sale. One look at those homemade chocolate chip cookies did it for me -- I can honestly tell you it was the best cookie I have ever had... and by the looks of me you can tell I've hand more than one in my lifetime.

We quickly decided after that tour, we would definitely do a much longer one next time. So, if you are in Lancaster and are looking for a new family adventure, grab the buggy rides next to Plain & Fancy on Route 340... well worth your time.

So grateful to Becky and Natalie and their families who came out to visit me while in Lancaster. It's always so nice to catch up with friends that I don't get to see very often. Love you guys!

No comments: